BLUE CHEESE ROULADE with basil and sun-blush tomatoes
Starter serves 8
Starter – serves 4 main
90g plain flour
400ml milk, warmed
7 eggs separated
100g parmesan, freshly grated
225g blue cheese, crumbled
sprinkle of sun-blush tomatoes
big handful of roughly chopped basil
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C / gas 6
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for three minutes, then add the milk a little at a time, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened. Remove from the heat. Season well, then mix in the egg yolks.
3. In a bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold them gently and carefully into the yolk mixture, so you keep as much air as possible. Fold in the basil. Spread on a greased and lined 45 x 30cm baking tray. Sprinkle evenly with the parmesan, then bake for 15 minutes or until springy and risen. Turn out on to a sheet of greaseproof paper or baking parchment and leave to cool.
4. Season the ricotta, then spread it evenly over the roulade base, leaving a gap at the top and bottom. Scatter over the crumbled cheese and tomatoes. Roll up and wrap in greaseproof and foil. If not eating straight away, chill for up to 2 hours.
5. When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 200C / gas 6. Cut the roulade into eight pieces and heat through in the oven for 10 minutes. Then finish by glazing them under a hot grill.
Garnish with rocket tossed in balsamic vinaigrette.
Serve with pesto or fresh tomato sauce.